11 Toys to Buy for the Hypersensitive or Autistic Child
Updated: Mar 9
1. Marble Fidget in Mesh Sleeve: The marble fidget has calming, mesmerizing effects that encourage focus, calm, and improved mood. Keep little fingers busy to stop nail picking and biting.
2. Tangle Junior: Develop spatial awareness by twisting and turning the pieces to create many interesting shapes, while keeping little hands engaged. Well-tolerated by kids who are hypersensitive to touch.
3. Fidget Pencil Toppers: A quiet non-distracting tool that can be kept on every child's desk for discreet fidgeting and calming, to open children up for learning.
4. Koosh Balls: Koosh balls have been used for many years to promote calm, reduce stress and anxiety, and increase focus and attention. A favorite for children who are calmed by soft textures.
5. Squigz: These toys encourage can be used by kids of all ages to encourage creativity, and experimentation, build motor skills and encourage problem-solving.
6. Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty: This is a great firm putty for kids who are hypersensitive to touch for calming and for strengthening the hands and fingers. Put little toys in it to provide tactile exploration and encourages fine motor skill development.
7. Weighted Lizard: The heft of this weighted stuffed animal provides comforting deep touch pressure for calming and organization.
8. Wipeable Crash Pad: The crash pad can be used as a soft landing zone for kids who crave sensory input, and provides a safe place for kids to calm down and relax. Requires parental supervision.
9. Lycra Swing Seat: The stretchy swing provides a solid bottom with an inflatable compartment while enveloping your child to provide proprioceptive input through the lycra and vestibular input through the swinging motion to develop body awareness and promote self-regulation.
10. Noise-Canceling Headphones: It is perfectly suited for kids with autism or sensory issues who are hypersensitive to or easily distracted by sound. The noise reduction helps with sensory overload to help kids remain well-regulated.
11. Sensory Tent: This sensory tent is perfect when your child needs a space to play or to retreat when the world is just too much. Ideal for children with special needs.